At the completion of this program, the participant will be able to:
- List the features and characteristics of facilities and engineering controls that must be maintained when receiving and storing hazardous drugs
- List the features and characteristics of facilities and engineering controls that must be maintained when manipulating hazardous drugs
- Outline containment supplemental engineering controls and their intended usage.
- Outline the processes and procedures for deactivating, decontaminating, cleaning, and disinfecting areas where hazardous drugs are handled
- Describe the procedures for responding to accidental exposure and spills of hazardous drugs
- List the personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements when handling hazardous drugs based on the pharmacy activity
- Describe the process for disposing PPE
- Outline the procedures and environmental requirements for transport and receiving hazardous medications
- Outline the procedures for handling damaged shipping containers containing hazardous drugs
- List the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) criteria for defining hazardous drugs
- Recognize the hazardous drug tables published by NIOSH
- Describe protective medical devices usage and techniques for administering hazardous drugs to patients
- List and describe federal regulations pertaining to the disposal of hazardous drugs.
- Describe medical surveillance programs and surface wipe sampling
- Outline best practice facility standard operating procedures (SOPs), including area-specific SOPs, for the handling of hazardous drugs
- List hazardous drug training and competency requirements
Accreditation Information: The National Pharmacy Technician Association (NPTA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing education. This CPE activity has been designated as a knowledge-based program. No faculty members had any conflicts of interest to disclose.
ACPE UAN: 0384-9999-20-304-H07-T
6 contact hours/ 0.6 CEU
Release Date: 10-01-2020 Expiration Date: 10-01-2023