Learning Objectives: At the completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Define diversion and list motivating and contributory factors
- Explain the consequences of drug diversion
- Describe the factors contributing to impairment and signs associated with impaired health care workers
- Outline the effects of impairment on society
- Identify methods to detect, prevent and respond to drug diversion
- List areas of diversion vulnerability in procurement, preparation and dispensing, prescribing, administration, and waste/removal processes
- Outline the elements of a comprehensive and effective controlled substances diversion prevention program (CSDPP)
- Outline the types and functions of security control measures, devices, and software to detect and prevent diversion (e.g., locking storage, cameras, ADCs, analytics software)
- Identify high risk areas of the pharmacy (e.g., anesthesia area, CS vault, IV room, will call, receiving)
- Describe chain of custody methods (e.g., regulation of access control, presence of witnesses for signing delivery sheets, use of tamper-evident containers)
- Define controlled substance
- Explain the laws related to controlled substances
- List the regulatory agencies related to controlled substances
- Identify the DEA requirement and forms
- Perform the validation processes of DEA numbers
- Define DEA Controlled Substance Ordering System (CSOS)
- Outline efforts to prevent drug diversion in pharmacy
- List the steps of selling BTC medication
- Explain controlled substances diversion in pharmacy practice.
- Identify risk points and methods of diversion.
- Recognize signs of product alteration or tampering
- Outline surveillance practices, recommendations and resources to identify and investigate potential diversion.
- List signs of and methods to detect fraudulent prescriptions.
Accreditation Information: The National Pharmacy Technician Association (NPTA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing education. This CPE activity has been designated as a knowledge-based program. No faculty members had any conflicts of interest to disclose.
ACPE UAN: 0384-9999-20-305-H03-T
5 contact hours/ 0.5 CEU
Release Date: 10-01-2020 Expiration Date: 10-01-2023